Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make a CAT-5 Ethernet Cable  (Read 7676 times)
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »

Step one:
Put a incision around the CAT-5 wire with the crimping tool or scissors where you want to snap the casing off the cable.  The arrow points to where I put my incision.

Step two:
Make sure your cable is the proper length for arranging the wires into the proper order.  I have demonstrated the proper length with the distance of my middle finger knuckle to my fingertip

Step three:
Arrange your wires into the proper order designated by the picture in step four and then get ready to cut them to the proper distance for fitting into the connector.  We add the extra space to make sure that the wires are easy to arrange.

Step four:
Arrange your wires for step three in the order provided in this picture.  Make sure that you keep the wires in this order for the rest of the time before you crimp the connector onto these wires.  The distance that the wires are in this picture is how long they should be before putting them into the connector for crimping.

Step five:
Put your wires into the RJ-45 connector with the brown wires being on the left in this image and the orange wires on the right side.  Once your wires are in you are ready to crimp.

Step six:
Crimp your wires with the RJ-45 crimping tool and make sure that the wires do not come loose before crimping or else you may have to cut the cable and do the whole process again.  It takes time before you can always make good cables but if you follow my method you will be much more likely to not run into problems.

Step seven:
Make the other end of the wire by giving yourself the proper cable distance plus around 4-6 extra inches for cutting and crimping in case one goes bad.  Both ends of the cable have to be wired in the same pattern in order for the cable to work.  So if you are repairing a cable, PLEASE cut off both ends and just replace both to ensure that the cable will work.

Once you have done all this you should be ready to start making your own CAT-5 Ethernet cables to any distance that you want provided you get these things:
CAT-5 Ethernet Cable ($0.80/ft)
RJ-45 Ends/Connectors ($0.25/pc)
RJ-45 Crimping Tool ($8-50)

If you can do all this you can effective set up your own network and manage it once you learn some networking techniques.

RamboX
Freelancer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »

It's piece of cake and I did it on my first try lol, I learned that at RIT Mr. Tato
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:23:01 AM »

It's piece of cake and I did it on my first try lol, I learned that at RIT Mr. Tato

Nice, I learned how to make Ethernet cables in my Cisco class in high school.

A lot of people don't know how to do this and I hope this method works for others trying it out.
RamboX
Freelancer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »

Yes I know and most of people have problems with wrong kind of colors wires to pull it in and they kept trying do it right. In my RIT class, all of my students took it to be successful in 30 mins to a hour and I finished it in 5 mins because I was being careful and they weren't. They just wanted to hurry and finish so they made mistakes and have to do it again
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »

VoIPGirl is image source with a little bit of good info

CableSupply.com has videos attached to items as well as pretty decent Tutorials

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: