Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Aquariums and Terrariums  (Read 9985 times)
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:05:40 AM »

Two 10 gallon tanks and a 2.5 gallon tank.  5 fish and a pleco in the showy 10 gallon and a red tiger oscar in the bare 10 gallon with minnows in the feeder tank.

I created a moonlight system for one of the 10 gallons using a 3.2v 300mA transformer with 5 UV ultra bright LEDs (2 sanded), 3 Blue ultra bright LEDs (3 sanded), and 3 Green LEDs (unsanded).  I'll post the circuit sometime.

I am also working on other lighting systems and completing the lighting into something more professional.

mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »

Our friend Gregs red eyed tree frog setup:

20 Gallon long with a 20 gallon long topper on it.  The topper was custom made with acrylic at a local shop.
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:52:39 AM »

Finished the dome LED lighting effect on my tank and the circuit I used is in the circuitry section.  The LED's are a little over volted but they are cooled properly.

MENACER
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:24:42 PM »

some pics of my RETF!!

If you look you can see it taking a dump!!! LOL!

martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »

so how much do frogs/fish and the associated hardware cost

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:13:13 AM »

so how much do frogs/fish and the associated hardware cost

Really depends on what you want to do.  Freshwater aquariums are easy to set up and take time to maintain weekly/monthly.  Saltwater aquariums are hard to set up and are easier to maintain but the electronics are key to the saltwater aquariums so they have to be monitored properly.  In terrariums and vivariums the set up cost can vary depending on the animals housing requirements and if you do a water section with fish and what not.

Now depending on what animal you selects makes all the difference.  Some species are hardy, while others are very hard to maintain and need delicate environments.  Getting big items used helps a lot with alleviating costs and getting animals from known reputable dealers is very important.  Watching to make sure the animal is healthy and having all the appropriate food and utilities to make sure the aquarium/terrarium is at its best at all times.  Filters, heating equipment, lights, temperature sensors, etc.

I guess for my tanks each 10 gallon cost $100 total?  IF that.
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

i need to get a few more of these!

x_____________________
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 03:40:44 AM »

i need to get a few more of these!

What is that, the crayfish?
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:54:08 AM »

yea, i need to get another one but the pet smart hasn't gotten any recently

x_____________________
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:46 AM »

Old pictures of radios setup:

martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »

is that more crayfish? what are the odds on this one running away?

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »

Here is our turtle tank from college.   Red eared slider named mikey, we gave him away to a teacher after we didn't want to clean the tank anymore.

Our turtle kept getting out of the cage so we set up a webcam to catch him in the act, and we did.  We fixed the tank after that but it was pretty neat to see him moving around when no one was near.  We also flooded the tank in the later pictures.  We made it water on both sides because we found out he was a mostly aquatic turtle and did not like the bare land side as much as a flooded land side.

The posts are a little inconsistent with the different images, but I will be fixing them soon.  Don't worry if your post says edited by mitchell, that just means I hardcoded the images to the forum.
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »

Our turtle kept getting out of the cage so we set up a webcam to catch him in the act, and we did.  We fixed the tank after that but it was pretty neat to see him moving around when no one was near.
sneaky bastard. he's a ninja! TMNJ are real!!

mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »

Our turtle kept getting out of the cage so we set up a webcam to catch him in the act, and we did.  We fixed the tank after that but it was pretty neat to see him moving around when no one was near.
sneaky bastard. he's a ninja! TMNJ are real!!

Haha, yeah they are.  He got out and fell 8 feet to the lower level, I don't even know how he survived that fall off the banister but we heard a 'thud' and noticed the turtle was missing.  Went down to the second floor and there he was in shock on the floor.  We picked him up, inspected him and realized he was completely fine.  It was definitely insane, I didn't think a turtle or any shelled animal could survive a fall like that.

We had a cage on the top so we didn't know how he could get out but we caught him in the act.  I have the video from him trying to escape so I'll try to get that up.
MENACER
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:23 PM »

He got out and fell 8 feet to the lower level

Skydiving turtles!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: