Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just some info and tweaks  (Read 6109 times)
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »

EveryMac is a good resource to get system specs and they have a tool to compare systems side by side as well

iFixit is a pimpy site giving you some good info.  They have "Gadget Teardowns" from macs to mopeds, some reapir tutorials and parts store

smcFanControl is an nice little app that you can use to change your minimum fan speeds during battery use, ac power, or charging.  I'm quite pleased with it as i bumped up from the stock 1800rpms to
1884 on battery to get slight temp drop w/o taxing the battery too much
2488 while on ac power
3092 while charging (about half the max)
all the while the fan remains whisper quiet and ~10f cooler than stock.  bear in mind that I purposely only bumped the speeds a bit.  some people like to rock 3500+ all day and that could come in handy in summer.  the only indication I have that anything has changed is the icon on the menubar displays temp (in c or f) and the rpms

and you can activate other profiles by clicking on said menubar icon and going to "active setting" and selecting from the drop menu which I find useful when streaming a video while on battery and just want a little bit extra

a little tweak app is TinkerTool which shows some hidden options and is quite useful and pretty much self-explanitory

\/ info packed run through \/
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sRUnDa-Yfv0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/sRUnDa-Yfv0</a>

Monolingual is a little app(1.8mb) that removes unwanted language files.  I was able to reclaim 2.3gb of HD space so I'd say it's worth it

iStat Menus is a nice system monitor that chills on your menubar giving you a system overview w/o having to toggle to dashboard or a different space.  if you want more info then all you have to do is click on it for drop-down menus for each component

hit up Open source Mac for a plethora of free apps to do just about anything on your Mac

IceClean and FinderClean are useful tools for cleaning up and easy access to some system feature

Easter Eggs rock n it turns out there are some hidden oldschool games accessible via terminal

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »

Good info here.   Smiley
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »

keyboard shorcuts rock.  as with anything ya gotta learn em before they're useful, but once ya get it productivity does noticeably increase.

Option-Control-Command-8     Invert/revert the screen colors
     /\ best shortcut ever /\

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:24:43 AM »

unmount
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN

martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:43:54 AM »

Show Hidden Files

command
     defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
     killall Finder

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: