Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Clutster  (Read 3526 times)
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:12 AM »

I propose a new project

All of my homebrew projects have always been focused on performance, the first -all out- ones were back in highschool which consisted of overclocking the crap out of AMDs palamino and barton chips...hell at one point I had a window A/C pointed directly into the case, gotta love a 60f cpu.  But as you may imagine, long term, that was impractical to say the least. Yet i did learn some things such as neg pressure is your friend and surface area is crucial and, don't ask me how, but cupcakes kill computers

As of lately I've been working more with linux flavors and BSD forks and love the flexability and stability.  I also just got some CUDA apps running on my 8800GTS 640mb... gotta love crankin out SETI results in less than an hr.  that additional load on the GPU prompted taking off the shroud and zip tying a 92mm fan right on the heatsink

While looking up some CUDA stuff and poking around the applications it brought to my attention... supercomputers... big power, problem is... big space

the answer is....

Microwulf
http://www.calvin.edu/~adams/research/microwulf

good info, hardware list and pdf on how to configure

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:39:11 AM »

What makes a cluster a Beowulf?

Cluster is a widely-used term meaning independent computers combined into a unified system through software and networking. At the most fundamental level, when two or more computers are used together to solve a problem, it is considered a cluster. Clusters are typically used for High Availability (HA) for greater reliability or High Performance Computing (HPC) to provide greater computational power than a single computer can provide.

Beowulf Clusters are scalable performance clusters based on commodity hardware, on a private system network, with open source software (Linux) infrastructure. The designer can improve performance proportionally with added machines. The commodity hardware can be any of a number of mass-market, stand-alone compute nodes as simple as two networked computers each running Linux and sharing a file system or as complex as 1024 nodes with a high-speed, low-latency network.

Class I clusters are built entirely using commodity hardware and software using standard technology such as SCSI, Ethernet, and IDE. They are typically less expensive than Class II clusters which may use specialized hardware to achieve higher performance.

Common uses are traditional technical applications such as simulations, biotechnology, and petro-clusters; financial market modeling, data mining and stream processing; and Internet servers for audio and games.

Beowulf programs are usually written using languages such as C and FORTRAN. They use message passing to achieve parallel computations.

Source: http://www.beowulf.org/

Technology has come a long way:
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »

so let's take a few chunks and a slab of aluminum and bolt a few mbs on and you get WhisperingWulf

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: