Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way  (Read 7274 times)
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »

Just to clarify intelligent question criteria and general forum etiquette

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »

Good read, but the people who need to read it probably won't.

What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions. People like that are time sinks — they take without giving back, and they waste time we could have spent on another question more interesting and another person more worthy of an answer. We call people like this “losers” (and for historical reasons we sometimes spell it “lusers”).

We realize that there are many people who just want to use the software we write, and who have no interest in learning technical details. For most people, a computer is merely a tool, a means to an end; they have more important things to do and lives to live. We acknowledge that, and don't expect everyone to take an interest in the technical matters that fascinate us. Nevertheless, our style of answering questions is tuned for people who do take such an interest and are willing to be active participants in problem-solving. That's not going to change. Nor should it; if it did, we would become less effective at the things we do best.
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:23:56 AM »

How much is the fish?

x_____________________
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »

I'm going to stab you in the eye with a really hot french fry!!!

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: