Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boot from USB drive  (Read 3027 times)
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »

dd was the first tool i came across to write an image to a USB drive
dd is a common Unix program whose primary purpose is the low-level copying and conversion of raw data. dd  is an application that will "convert and copy a file"
just a 334k app and a simple command and you're on your way.  the site lists the commands so i'll just reiterate the one for writing to USB
change to the directory where you have dd saved
cd path
cd d:\
proceed to write
dd if=image location of=\\.\USB drive letter:
dd if=d:\PCBSD8.0x64-USB.img of=\\.\i:

another tool is BootMyISO which is 432k and uses a gui to initialize so it's a little less intimidating for novices.  it uses grub to mount an image though you do need to edit a few lines of the menu.lst but no biggy as it's all explained clearly on the site
------
after messing around with both i have to say that i like BootMyISO better as you can drag and drop iso's and have multiple accessible at the same time with a few key strokes.  i just had a linux, bsd and windows iso on my thumb drive and all went through the motions w/o a hitch.  well i did have a hiccup w/ the "contiguous file" bit described @ the bottom of the web page but WinContig did the trick.  gotta love open source

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »

Pimp status, what you going to boot from it?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: