Username Always stay logged in
Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Home wind turbine!  (Read 4134 times)
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »

I'm seriously thinking of building this, i think i have a few large dc motors in the basement for a generator, I'm just not sure how to plug that into my house and produce for the grid to get paid by PSE&G when i overproduce.

Post Merge: February 08, 2010, 01:49:24 PM
http://www.instructables.com/id/How_I_built_an_electricity_producing_wind_turbine/step1/Acquiring-a-generator/

x_____________________
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »

Lets do it, I don't know if you can overproduce and supply anything but you can definitely power household devices and you can also hook it up to a battery backup system.

How much power in wattage and amperage are you looking to produce?  You can run multiple turbines but I know these things get big when you want big power from them.
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

horizontal axis turbines are a bit tricky to set up and stabilize not to mention top heavy.  Ya might wanna go for a vertical axis, that way it won't fall onto your or your neighbors house w/ a sudden gust of wind.  plus if you for out for some neodymium magnets, you can make it frictionless by opposing the poles to literally make it float.  that drastically increases the efficiency and reduces noise.

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »

neo is going to be used for another project if i can find the cash for them making the magnets n50 and using axle bearings, i can make this thing quiet gonna make own coil windings, i got the copper and steel plate from a turnpike sign

x_____________________
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »

I found plans for a hamster powered nightlight! amazing!

Post Merge: February 15, 2010, 05:50:19 PM
having problems with stator winding amount and connecting the windings, like do they all interconnect in series or parallel? and what is the magnet to winding ratio, like how many mags to coils?

x_____________________
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »

I found plans for a hamster powered nightlight! amazing!

Post Merge: February 15, 2010, 05:50:19 PM
having problems with stator winding amount and connecting the windings, like do they all interconnect in series or parallel? and what is the magnet to winding ratio, like how many mags to coils?

I'll show you when I come over.  There are formulas for calculating that.
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »

we went with 125 windings of 30 gauge, and got 4.2ish resistance each. 6 coils and 12 trans pan magnets should produce something, all we got left is to wire the coils, resin them into place, and build the nacelle and blades, the main axle is a threaded rod and skateboard bearings making the whole thing adjustable for distance of the magnets to the stator. the wiring is adjustable too. the whole thing is 4 inches, I'm thinking a 2 -3 foot diameter blades.

Post Merge: February 22, 2010, 11:51:13 AM
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/4/4/164552/3003

x_____________________
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:51:44 AM »

i want pictures damnit

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it. --George Carlin
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »

i probably should do that shouldn't i?

x_____________________
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »

x_____________________
martinc
Global Moderator
Pro Designer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »

so it looks like ya sealed it w silicone, you're doing it in the comp room, and why is there a stereo capacitor on the table?
we went with 125 windings of 30 gauge, and got 4.2ish resistance each. 6 coils and 12 trans pan magnets
what are trans pan magnets actually made of/ whats their relative strength
having problems with stator winding amount and connecting the windings, like do they all interconnect in series or parallel?
as far as connecting is concerned, i know in photovoltaic arrays parallel pumps out more vs series

mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:59 AM »

Solder!!!

Solder is a fusible metal alloy with a melting point or melting range of 90 to 450 C (200 to 840 F)

I guess we could've used the oven after all.  Cool
radioman
Bob the Builder
Sr. Designer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »

photovoltaic cells are expensive compared to what was done here
 and we raided a old amp to find electrical components for a circuit board for the output for this thing.  and dammit in doing wind power because its nifty

Post Merge: February 26, 2010, 07:31:50 PM
trans pan magnets are at least for Chrysler pans are ceramic and the equivalent to a low neo and for the scale this is that's fine

x_____________________
mitchell
Webmaster
Administrator
Pro Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »

and we raided a old amp to find electrical components for a circuit board for the output for this thing.

I can guarantee you that you will need to buy electrical components for the circuit.  The chances that you get perfect matches for all of your components out of one or even a few electrical devices is slim to none.  It definitely saves money though.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: